8th Holotropic Breathwork Workshop 11/11/1995


Arrived at the Centre at 8.55am. A few people already in kitchen area and small room. This week-end there were ten of us. Liam chose me as his partner. The morning session began around 9.50am and ended around 1.00pm.

Some people went out to lunch while the rest of us remained “at home”. We ate, chatted and drew Mandalas. When everyone arrived back, we were all having such a good time that nobody wanted to leave the little room. Lynn came back in for us at 1.45pm.

By the time we returned to the session room, I was beginning to feel a bit apprehensive about the afternoon. I eventually settled down into the relaxation exercise and so was ready to begin my journey:-

“About five minutes into the breathing, I am feeling pins and needles and numbness in my hands, arms and feet. This continues for a further fifteen minutes or so, ‘till I begin the familiar long drawn-out scream, which once again takes me back into my never-ending struggle to free myself from the womb-like prison which refuses to release me, thereby threatening my very existence.

I move from that torment to the feelings of a very young child. I have a fleeting image of a desperately distressed toddler being coaxed out from beneath a table. Whether this is done gently or aggressively, I don’t know. My crying now seems to be internal rather than external, and therefore without tears.

The sadness continues. Once again I return to the struggle which now has me furiously trying to be born. I continue to rotate and push my body down some imaginary passage until, overcome by shear frustration and exhaustion, I abandon the attempt altogether. It is at this point that I sleep for a while, before being gently reminded by Liam to continue my breathing.

For some reason I just don’t want to go back into the session, although I do resume the breathing. Within minutes I’m right back into the distress and isolation. A certain note in the piece of music sends me deep into total despair, and I begin to cry uncontrollably. Somebody covers me with my blanket and I curl up into my protective ball where I continue my heart-rending sobbing. I reject any attempts by Liam to comfort me. Lynn lies beside me and I explain my suffering, but I don’t want reassurance.

Again I slip back into a brief exhausted sleep from which I emerge feeling no better. As I prop myself up against some cushions I can still hear the pain of someone close by. Unable to hold a conversation with Liam, I curl up and rest my head on my knees. I remain in that position for quite some time. Something in the music touches me again and I begin to cry, feeling very much defeated and alone. For some reason I feel unable to face the other people inside so I hang on for another while. Eventually I leave around 5.00pm”.

Back in the small room I sat in a corner and remained virtually silent for the best part of half and hour. The others were enthusiastically discussing controversial topics, some of which I would have liked to join in, were I not still very upset and close to tears.

Sometime later I felt OK to eat and draw my Mandala. This time my image was of a small child sitting beneath a table draped in a dark green tablecloth. I used the colours green and black.

We returned to the session room around 6.00pm. Even in the group situation I found it very difficult to describe my experience. I felt weighed down by a tremendous depression, as if a lot of painful shit had been dredged up during the session but some of it was still waiting to be released. We finished up around 6.45pm.

At home I didn’t talk too much about the day’s events. I wasn’t very hungry, so I just had some soup and a cup of Camomile tea. Sometime around 11.30pm. I felt very sick and exhausted, so I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment